Sunday, August 19, 2012

A day in Paris

I spent my third day in France in the heart of Paris. I am proud to say I made it from hotel to hostel without missing a train or getting lost-- a great and first-time success. On my walk to the Young & Happy Hostel, I stopped at a brasserie and enjoyed my first croissant, and I mean I enjoyed it. I couldn't have been in a better mood, walking the streets of Paris with flakes of my croissant blowing away as I sacred every bite. It's safe to say I know what I'll be eating for breakfast tomorrow (and maybe every day after that). I dropped off my pack in storage for the day and headed out with no destination in mind. I checked out the shops and made my way to the Seine, where I got a 2-day pass to travel by boat from one popular destination to another. Since it was mid-afternoon by the time I got there, having cruised by boutiques, the Pantheon, and Notre Dame on foot, I decided to save my trip to the Louvre for tomorrow and headed to the Eiffel Tower.

I can't say it was something I was dying to see, but I knew I couldn't leave Paris without a visit under my belt. I brought a brie sandwich along and sat under the tower as I enjoyed the cheese and the view. I took my share of pictures along with the rest of the tourists, but many folks, I assume the locals, we're napping on the grass. So, I decided to nap too. It was a peaceful way to enjoy the historic monument, especially in comparison to those who waiting in line underneath the tower to climb in an eyesore of an elevator taking them to the top. I guess I'm a little bitter about the blury line that divides art and attraction, as the iron lady is the most visited paid-attraction in the world. It was created as a centerpiece for the World's Fair in 1889Erected in 1889 as the entrance arch to the 1889 World's Fair, which would celebrate the centennial of the French Revolution. As the tallest structure in Paris, I first saw the tower from the Pantheon, which was a pleasant surprise that made me think, 'Wow, I'm in Paris'.

After my nap I had an Italian ice cream and made my way back to the hostel, where I worked up the courage to introduce myself to two girls who spoke English with a heavy accent. Although we parted ways, they later invited me to share wine, and we talked about our travels. They are from Germany and traveling around Europe before starting at the University (not college, as that equivocates high school). They are 20 like me, but because of Germany's education system, they have yet to start secondary school although already know more about what they want to do with their careers than I do, and have been studying for them since sixteen. I got a glimpse of life as a teen in Europe from Nastia and Jana, and we parted with Facebook contact information and tired legs from all the walking that our travels require.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Paige I am so proud of you. Reading this brought tears to my eyes just thinking how brave you are to be doing this by yourself. Not sure I could of done it at 20. I will continue to follow you on your journey. Garrett is up with me this morning reading your post and wanted say "Hi"
    --Be safe, Have fun, and keep us posted. Love Gina and Garrett

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to my blog!

* indicates required