Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Deconstructing Privilege

Experiential Learning Blog 3:

I definitely agree that the opportunity to study abroad is a privilege, and one that many young people around the world do not have. Upon my arrival in Sevilla, I experienced much of the same disillusion that Talya Zemach-Bersin describes in her article. I had gone from traveling around Europe freely for two weeks to a bus full of Americans being shuttled from one Spanish monument to the next, and all the while I felt ridiculous. I embarked on my study abroad journey to understand a different culture, speaking the language and immersing in daily life; to my disappointment, I was touring Sevilla through the windows of a bus, full of English-speaking students who for the most part weren't even listening to the tour guide. This was a slap-in-the-face of how privileged of a group we were, and an early sign of the difficulties of immersion that were to come.

The students in my program all come from private universities in the states. Within days we were all planning weekend trips around Spain and Europe, able to afford such luxuries; the economic privilege was obvious from Day One. But as we began our cultural realities classes, learning about Spanish culture in a classroom setting, it amazed me how much our privileges as Americans were influencing our interpretations of life in Spain. There are stereotypes about Americans, as with any group of people, that I was aware of before beginning my study abroad, and more that I've learned along the way. It surprised me how many of these stereotypes were being confirmed by our group, and how little effort we put in to preventing such affirmation. Our privilege is so deeply engrained that often it is nearly impossible to grasp.

However, while I do agree that we are incredibly privileged to be studying overseas and experiencing other cultures in the way that we are, I do not agree with Zemach-Bersin's statement that we can never be citizens of the world. I think it takes incredible humility and awareness to be able to step away from one's own culture to interpret another without such ignorance and separation that she (rightfully) criticizes. However, being a global citizen is not about "blending in" perfectly with every culture; it is about empathy and letting go of one's judgements about another culture based on one's own cultural standards. Zemach-Bersin's criticism falls into the same trap she is criticizing, by separating the American experience from those of another nationality's; we all face differences, some much greater than others. Privileged as we are, Americans studying abroad have the chance to appreciate the differences we all experience as citizens of the world.


TEXT: "American Students Abroad Can't Be 'Global Citizens'" From the issue dated March 7, 2008 By TALYA ZEMACH-BERSIN

1 comment:

Subscribe to my blog!

* indicates required