Saturday, December 1, 2012

Cultural Icons

Experiential Learning Blog 6:

NO8DO is Sevilla's motto. Walking down the street, you will see it written on newspaper stands, manhole covers, buildings and souvenirs sold in kiosks. I didn't find out the meaning of this motto until a few weeks ago, but it may have been for the better, since when I did learn it, it meant so much to me.

The symbol in the center represents a knot of wool, called madeja in Spanish. With the knot (reminiscent also of the infinity symbol) in between NO and DO, Sevilla's emblem signifies "No me ha dehado," meaning "She has not left me." This little cultural gem describes perfectly the sentiment that is Sevilla. Sevillanos are born in Sevilla and stay in Sevilla. They don't say they are from Spain or that they are Spanish, they say they are from Sevilla. I know that when I return to the Bay Area and to Allegheny, Sevilla will never leave me. The experiences I have had and the relationships I have made with the kind people that live here (and stay here!) will always be a part of me.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you have had those experiences and relationships with the people that stay in Sevilla Paige! You have grown from this experience and so have I. Miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe to my blog!

* indicates required