Monday, December 24, 2012

Lessons Learned

Experiential Learning Blog 7:

I despise this question of what I would do differently if I studied abroad all over again because I feel as if it takes away from the real lesson learned: that we can live life to its fullest no matter where we are, but time goes on and we must make mistakes. Moving into a house full of strangers, barely able to speak the language, is so uncomfortable within itself that I could have been two doors down from home and felt like a foreigner. I could say that I would be more outgoing, that I would stop my seƱora from what she was doing and make her talk to me... But I didn't. And if somehow I could redo my first study-abroad experience, I wouldn't do anything differently. 

That isn't to say that I did everything perfectly. Knowing that I only had three months to do everything I wanted to do in Sevilla and in my travels was incredibly overwhelming. It filled every free moment with pressure that I should be spending my time here or there. When I wanted to stay in at night I had to weigh the guilt into my decision. But after a while, all I really wanted was to feel comfortable doing nothing. I wanted to spend an evening talking to the friends I've made- American and Spanish- without feeling like I wasn't taking advantage of being in a different country. And what I learned is that doing exactly that was taking advantage for me.  Sevilla began to feel like home, and the friends I made I have missed every day since I left. 
 
 So whatever I did during my experience, however I dealt with all the challenges and struggles that I expected and those I did not, whatever made me fall in love with Sevilla the way I did, I wouldn't trade for any other experience, because it was mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to my blog!

* indicates required